20110502

DAY 6- Help me God!

Date: Saturday 16th April, 2011
Where to today: Dingboche (4,410m)
Where are we sleeping: Dingboche (4,410m)
How do we get there: By foot

So, I didn't complete a diary entry yesterday. I was physically and emotionally drained. I had been vomiting and had to go to the toilet a lot, which really drained the life from me. I'm not sure if it was food poisoning or altitude sickness. The symptoms are so similar.

Tonight is our second night in Dingboche. We spend 2 nights here for the purpose of acclimatisation. Today was supposed to be our "rest day", but it was definitely not the right set of words to describe today. At 8am we left our lodge and made our way to Mount Nagazumi.

On the way up, we all took a short rest on a boulder. Upon hearing from Dorchi that we weren't even half way there, I kicked the ground and let out an angry sigh. Bobby then said "It's okay Kara, you can do it". His kind and encouraging words really hit me, and I had tears in my eyes. I had sunnies on though, so luckily no one was able to see my water filled eyes.

After a strenuous and emotionally draining walk that took 3 hours on a 45 degree angle incline, we finally reached the summit of 5000m. I was really proud of myself for having reached the top. I was weak and so dehydrated from vomiting the day before, and not eating lunch or dinner the day before and only having a tiny breakfast. I didn't think I could make it to the top of Nagazumi. Whenever I looked up to the mountain, the peak looked so far away. But if I didn't complete today's climb, it meant that I wouldn't be able to go tomorrow or any further on this trip. It would be dangerous as my body would most certainly suffer from altitude sickness.

Also, on the way up to Mount Nagazumi I was seriously battling demons in my head. I kept on having arguments in my mind. "Could I make the rest of the trip? No I couldn't, I don't want to go on. Wait, yes I can- I've come all this way- why should I give up now? Because I'm so tired, sick and haven't eaten anything! No, it's okay Kara be strong! You can do it." After descending Nagazumi and arriving back at the lodge my spirits were lifted and right now I'm feeling much better. I think I will be okay.


Me and Josh resting on the way up to Mt Nagazumi. I'm not a happy camper.


The magnificient view from Mt Nagazumi (5000m)


The group on top of Mt Nagazumi

Something I wanted to write in yesterday's entry (which didn't happen) was going outside our lodge at Pangboche in the morning and brushing my teeth with Ben. We did so amongst the magnificent views of the Himalayas. Was a majestic 360 degree view of God's creation. Snow capped mountains; the sharp, cold air; deep valleys that seem to extend on forever. Truly breath taking. Something I will never forget.

Tomorrow we are off to Lobuche, a height of 4,900m. Should be easy for us to manage, given that we climbed to 5000m and back down today.

2 comments: