20110425

Don't cry!

Date: Saturday 23rd April, 2011
Where to today: Kathmandu --> Bangkok --> Kuala Lumpur
Where are we sleeping: Kuala Lumpur
How do we get there: Plane

Today was our last day in Nepal.

I woke up in the morning and was excited to be going to KL for a relaxing 1 week. At the same time however I was also sad. We would be saying farewell to Dorchi, who had not only been our guide, but a friend as well.

As soon as I got dressed I headed straight for Matt, Bobby and Josh's room. I wanted to see with my own eyes what sort of condition they were in from last night! I knocked on the door, and Josh let me in. Matt was dressed, but lying in bed, looking pale and very tired. I couldn't help but laugh. They were all so quiet, and didn't feel like talking. I couldn't help but laugh again.

After a quick breakfast at 'Eurasian Cafe', Dorchi and Dhruba came to pick us up to take us to the airport.

We arrived at the airport, and at this point I felt quite sad. Dorchi placed a golden coloured scarf around our necks, and we sadly said our goodbyes to him. Whilst walking in a line into the airport terminal I had tears in my eyes. I tried to hold them in as best I could. I didn't want the boys knowing I was crying! I looked back to try and see Dorchi, but he had already gone into the distance.

What a journey this has been. There were tears (mainly from me!), disagreements, laughs, and many memories that will never be forgotten. It has truly been a life changing experience for me. The thing that I have taken most from this journey is to be so so so thankful of what I have back at home. The Nepali people who live on the mountains (called Sherpas), live with so little, work so hard and never complain. The average life of a sherpa is 59 years of age (http://www.ancestry.com/facts/SHERPA-life-expectancy.ashx). The majority have no electricity, will never receive an education, have no TVs, washing machines, proper beds, mobiles, fridges, showers, the list goes on.

Thank you God for all that I have!

1 comment: